Sunday, February 1, 2009

It's been far too long!

Where do I even start?

Well, I guess we could start with school. I started teaching and I am loving it! It is definitely challenging some days, but I am determined not to let the kids get to me. Most days I come home and I'm too tired to even think about cooking meal. This week was a little better. My kids are pretty funny most days though. However, I have learned to treat them like they are in kindergarten. There is no other way to do it.

For example- on Friday we played vocabulary bingo to begin reviewing for out test on Tuesday. I bought a bunch of colored beads to use as the markers. Well, my first class was ok, besides the fact that half of the girls were fighting over who got the hot pink and who got the neon green. I thought 15 and 16 year olds could handle these things a little better, but apparently not. Then a boy in my 3rd class of the day threw a bead at a guy but it accidently hit a girl in the face. Crazy! Anyways, then my last class of the day, after I explained that these were not to be thrown, "accidently" slipped out of your hand, put in your mouth, etc., a boy swallowed 25 of them. Yes, that's right, a 15 year old swallowed 25 beads. You know the beads we used to use at VBS for the bracelettes? Yeah, those.

So that's school. Lots of planning...and lots of work, but overall I love it! My students are good most days.

Now, my certification classes....Let's see. I hate them. They are the biggest waste of time and money. I have to go every Tuesday for 4 hours and 2 Saturdays a month for 8 hours each time. It is absolutely miserable. The majority of the people in the class are retired military, know nothing about teaching, and are extremely closed minded. They want stable, secure jobs, so they picked teaching. I know I would have hated every minute of their classes. Most of them do not have teaching jobs right now. They are just getting a taste of teaching by taking this class in hopes of finding a job for next school year.

Ah, on to life in general...Everything is going fairly well. Chloe (my puppy) is staying at Tyler's apartmet because he has more time to take care of her than I do. Plus I don't want my roommates to feel responsible for her. She seems to be doing really well, although she does not like to poop in front of Tyler, so that has been somewhat of an issue. I think she's doing better though. I take her some, because she sits in front of the door and cries whenever I leave. She is truely a big baby.

Ok, well I'm off to try to get some things done! Need to do some laundry and some cleaning up on this lovely Sunday, then off to bowling with friends!

No comments: